Planning & Permitting Office
The Office of Planning and Permitting is administered under the Department of Operations and works hand in hand with the Parish Geographic Information Systems (GIS) to provide adequate information on drainage, public utilities, development requirements and property elevations.
In order to plan and provide for the safety and well being of citizens, the Parish receives and monitors vital development data to identify and insure compliance with Parish ordinances through requiring the issuance of construction permits.
- Permitting Informational Brochure
- A permit must be obtained prior to the construction of a new home, the movement of a new mobile home within the parish, or the construction of a new building. View the Residential Process (PDF).
- A permit must also be obtained prior to the construction/renovation of a facility for a commercial permit. The applicant must obtain a set of construction drawings, State Fire Marshall approval, and fill out all necessary applications. View the Subdivision Process (PDF).
For information concerning permit fees, call the Planning/Permitting Office at 225-562-2500. Note: All fees must be paid at the time the plans are submitted.
Permit Applications / Documents
Permits can either be downloaded or picked up at the Planning/Permitting Office or Courthouse Annex during the hours of 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Mondays through Thursdays or 7:30 to 11:30 a.m. on Fridays.
- 6 Feet Elevation Map (PDF)
- Affidavit Claiming Exemption From Licensure (PDF)
- New Gas Request Form (PDF)
- Servitude Form (PDF)
- New Gas Service Labor and Material Form
- Culvert Request
- Contractor's Registration
- Commercial Building Application
- Change of Occupancy-Ownership
- Cell Tower Application
- Utility Connection Request
Fill out the St. James Parish Occupational License Application (PDF). If you have any questions regarding the occupation license, please contact the Parish President’s Office at 225-562-2260.
Additionally, the office of Planning and Permitting is the focal point for providing a multitude of services to the public. They include:
- Coastal Zone Management
- Floodplain Management
- Protecting public property
- Interfacing with the Planning Commission
Utility Bill Payments
The Planning and Permitting Office (located on the3rd floor of the Courthouse) now takes Utility Bill payments (cash or check only). For your convenience, they also offer Automatic Draft payments that can be set up by completing the Authorization Form (PDF) and bringing it to the Planning and Permitting Office. For more information, please call 225-562-2264.