Planning & Permitting Office

The Office of Planning and Permitting is administered under the Department of Operations and works hand in hand with the Parish Geographic Information Systems (GIS) to provide adequate information on drainage, public utilities, development requirements and property elevations.


In order to plan and provide for the safety and well being of citizens, the Parish receives and monitors vital development data to identify and insure compliance with Parish ordinances through requiring the issuance of construction permits.

Permit Requirements

  • A permit must be obtained prior to the construction of a new home, the movement of a new mobile home within the parish, or the construction of a new building. View the Residential Process (PDF).
  • A permit must also be obtained prior to the construction/renovation of a facility for a commercial permit. The applicant must obtain a set of construction drawings, State Fire Marshall approval, and fill out all necessary applications. View the Subdivision Process (PDF).


For information concerning permit fees, call the Planning/Permitting Offices in Convent at 225-562-2264 or 225-562-2443 and the office in Vacherie at 225-562-2415. Note: All fees must be paid at the time the plans are submitted.

Permit Applications / Documents

Permits can either be downloaded or picked up at the Planning/Permitting Office or Courthouse Annex during the hours of 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Mondays through Thursdays or 7:30 to 11:30 a.m. on Fridays. 


Fill out the St. James Parish Occupational License Application (PDF). If you have any questions regarding the occupation license, please contact the Parish President’s Office at 225-562-2260.

Additional Services

Additionally, the office of Planning and Permitting is the focal point for providing a multitude of services to the public. They include:

  • Coastal Zone Management
  • Floodplain Management
  • Protecting public property
  • Interfacing with the Planning Commission
  • Working with the Operations Department
  • Interfacing with the Assessor's Office
  • Keeping the permitting process simple and open

Utility Bill Payments

The Planning and Permitting Office (located on the 2nd floor of the Courthouse) now takes Utility Bill payments (cash or check only). For your convenience, they also offer Automatic Draft payments that can be set up by completing the Authorization Form (PDF) and bringing it to the Planning and Permitting Office. For more information, please call 225-562-2264.